Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Philippians - Part 1

I've been having a blast making notes on Philippians. I got to put principles of hermeneutics (Bible interpretation--took a class from Pastor Doug last year on it) into action: things like word studies, analyizing thought structure, understanding the context... good stuff. You gain an appreciation for how rich and full scripture is.

Tonight I gave an introduction at Soma and then when we split into groups, I went through the material here with my group. This being the first time we've done this, I have a good idea where things need to be adjusted for next time. I certainly have a lot to learn about homiletics--how to teach Scripture. Although our main focus with the small groups is lots of discussion and interaction, the group leaders still put homiletics into action. (We follow an inductive Bible study method, focusing on three types of questions: What does it say? What does it mean? How does it apply to me?) Hearing other people's perspectives is wonderfully encouraging. I'm excited to prepare for next week.

If you're interested, my notes are posted here: Philippians 1:1-11. By all means, if you see anything wrong or questionable, please let me know!

No comments: